My 2008 List of Outdoor Photography Gear

Note this list is from 2008. 


"I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck." ~Emma Goldman

I had the opportunity to hire a photographer on a project I was working on and he made several suggestions on gear to buy.  Most of the recommendations are what I listed below.   While this blog is not just about photography, I thought I would start things off by listing the gear I use.

Camera
- Canon 30D - Great camera with very few faults. I will probably upgrade to the 50D or 60D in 2009.

Lens
1. Telephoto - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM - Great lens, if I had it to do over again, I might settle for the 100-300 just because the extra weight does become a challenge on long hikes. There are times I have left it at home when it would have been nice to have it.

2. Wide Angle - Tokina 12-24mm f4 DX - This is a great wide-angle lens and is one of my most-used lenses.

3. General Purpose Lens - Tamron SP AF28-75/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Another great lens for the money.

4. Macro Lens - Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro This lens produces great pictures. I can't wait for the spring so I can add to my wildflower gallery.


Filters
1. I spent a fair amount of money on B&W slim polarizer filters and wish I could go back and just buy a modestly priced polarizer. The two I bought have not held up well.

2. Singh-Ray ND-Var Filter - Another expensive filter, but great for waterfalls.

3. A collection of Cokin ND Filters and warming filters.

Comments

JMB said…
Thanks for reading my bear story! :) I just browsed your blog and your photos are amazing. My husband also enjoys photography and is a Canon guy as well. I just got him the 50D for Christmas and he is loving it. Best to you as you prepare for doing the AT this year!