Blog Archive

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Appalachian Trail - Georgia - Shelters




The picture of the shelter in the previous post is not a good representation of the shelters. I thought I would post a few more. This stone shelter is located on Blood Mountain. Because it is so exposed, they built this shelter with four walls, but as you can see there are no windows, etc so it stays pretty chilly. I had planned on staying there but arrived early and decided to head on down to Neels Gap for the night.




I do not have the name of the second shelter pictures, but this is more representative of what most shelters look like. Some may be a bit wider, but most of them are of a log type and are rather old. I will say that most shelters did not seem to leak. I think the trail maintainers do a good job keeping the roofs in good shape.

No comments: