Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Few things are sweeter than a good watermelon.




"When one has tasted watermelons, he knows what the angels eat" - Mark Twain


On the trail there are many things you crave. Most people seemed to crave ice cream or cheeseburgers to begin with. Later on fruit seemed to be one of the most craved items. For me it was always watermelons. Usually when I arrived in town I would buy a watermelon, go outside to eat it, and then go in and do the rest of my grocery shopping.


When I was younger I used to help my grandfather raise watermelons and cantaloupes. Now my father and one of his friends raise them and I have been able to help out the last couple of weeks. I still think the best tasting watermelons are the ones you break open right in the field when you are ready for a break.