Blog Archive

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Appalachian Trail in Maine

How strange that Nature does not knock, and yet does not intrude! ~Emily Dickinson

I don't think I would ever grow tired of the beauty of Maine.   The Appalachian Trail does a good job of taking you by most of the lakes and overlooks in the area.   It was pretty windy and chilly on the mountain  tops and you always wanted to spend some time there, but at the same time you always knew you had something else to look forward to coming up.   I had camped on the shores of the lake, but had an early start so arrived at this spot fairly early in the morning.  

Humor for the day - Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson go on a camping trip. After a good dinner and a bottle of wine, they retire for the night, and go to sleep.


Some hours later, Holmes wakes up and nudges his faithful friend. “Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see.”

“I see millions and millions of stars, Holmes” replies Watson.

“And what do you deduce from that?”

Watson ponders for a minute. “Well,

Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets.

Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo.

Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three.

Meteorologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow.

Theologically, I can see that God is all powerful, and that we are a small and insignificant part of the universe.

But what does it tell you, Holmes?”

Holmes is silent for a moment.
“Watson, you idiot!” he says. “Someone has stolen our tent!”

No comments: